Saturday, October 08, 2005

My sister has a knack for bumping into famous people

OK, a few years ago, only one day after a concert in Montreal, Dave Matthews walked out of a Roots store and bumped into my sister. Literally. Actually I don't think they made contact but she had to stop short, if I remember correctly. :swoon: It was Dave. Dave the god. Dave the man I'd leave hub for (well, not really - but close!).

Five minutes ago I called her on her cell phone, only to be greeted by a bunch of background noise.
Me: Hey - what's up? Where are you?
Her: Hey - what's up? I'm at a hockey game in Toronto.
Me: Oh, wow! I didn't know you were going to Toronto this weekend.
Her: Um, Don Cherry just walked past us.
Me: Really?
Her: Yeah, he just shook Jon's hand.

First Dave, then Don. The closest brush I had with fame was setting off alarms at the Whitehouse during the Clinton administration. Oh yeah, I got Graig Nettles' autograph once. It was way back when the Mets were still good. I think I was in elementary school.

Time to go shopping for a new computer desk!
Ms. V

1 comment:

Perplexio said...

I miss those days... Back when the Mets were good I mean.

Today I'm delighted about the Angels knocking the Yankees out of the Playoffs. Being a Mets fan my 2nd favorite team is whomever is playing the Yankees.

Being a Chicago transplant, I'm pulling for the White Sox to win the series.

Maybe next year the Mets will do better. This season they actually finished above .500 for the first time since they made it to the series back in 2000, hopefully their improved record is a sign of things to come.

And Don Cherry, that guy is a total hoot! I miss Hockey Night in Canada because you never knew what kind of wild things he would say between periods. I remember one game he was referring to certain players as being "Nancy boys" I about bust a nut laughing.

I have one of his Hockey DVDs, one of the things he highlighted were goals accidentally scored by players on their own net! It was rather humorous. The blooper real was cool too.

I also have an mp3 file of a joke about Don Cherry & his dog named Blue.

"I heard you met Don Cherry & Blue his dog." ;-) *snicker*